Every day, I bring my Good Totes through both meaningful and serene moments of my life; it could be spending time alone on a self-care day, enjoying the beach view with my besties, or just going on a grocery run.
We take our Good Totes through a plethora of daily activities. As we're out and about, we tend to leave our totes on the floor and seats, where they trap dirt easily.So, what can be done to keep our Good Totes clean?
"Do I scrub my tote with soap? What about leaving it in the washer or soaking it overnight?
We heard you! Today, we will be answering one of our most commonly asked questions — how to remove both light & heavy stains on your totes. First things first, let’s start with things that we shouldn’t do to your Good Totes!
Things to NOT do:
- Do not put your totes in washers & dryers
- Do not add bleach or a strong cleaning agent as the tote’s colour may come off
- Never soak your totes (especially when hand washing!)
- Do not iron your totes
How to Spot Treat your Good Totes
Removing dirt marks:
- Firstly, add some soap into a dish. Olive-oil based soaps work best, but you could also use pretty much any kind of dishwashing soap. Avoid strong cleaning agents or bleach.
- Then, dilute your soap with some water and mix the solution.
- Using your damp cloth, scrub the dirty areas. Make sure to not scrub *too hard* tough, you wouldn’t want the pretty colours to come off!
- Next, grab yourself a clean cloth to wipe the soap off.
- Lastly, air dry your tote and you’re good to go!
Here’s a step-by-by tutorial for you:
Removing Heavy Stains
Upon discovering heavy stains, immediately wipe it with wet tissue. We don’t want it to settle into the fabric, as it would be difficult to remove it entirely later.
Nonetheless, you could try the following:
Removing Oil Stains:
- Add a small amount of talcum powder or cornstarch on the stain.
- Leave it on for a few hours, and apply some soap to spot clean it.
- After that, use a clean cloth to wipe the tote.
Removing liquid stains:
- Mix toothpaste with baking soda.
- Apply the mixture on the stain with a toothbrush and scrub until the stain shifts. However, do note to not scrub too forcefully, as it may ruin the material or cause the stain to spread.
Can I hand wash my tote?
Yes, if you’re hardworking like that, hand washing in cold water is fine too.
However, please make sure to not soak your tote for more than a minute, as prolonged contact with water may cause the metal hardware to erode and rust.
And as always, make sure to use a gentle soap in order to preserve the pretty prints and colours of your Good Totes!
Or… let your totes be
In order to preserve the colour and texture of your tote, we actually don’t think that you need to wash your totes that often. Spot treating is the way to go!
Well, if you think about it, dirt marks can remind you of the places you’ve been to! We think they help add more character to your tote 😎
Take proper care of your Good Totes, and it’ll last you for time to come. If you have any questions for us, hit us up on our email or Instagram DM!